Using power tools day in and day out can cause problems in your hand. If you suffer from any kind of pain, numbness, tingling, or burning from using tools, here are some ways you can help.
Repetitive use of power tools can cause problems in your hand. Symptoms could include numbness, tingling, burning and pain. Many power tools create vibration, which, when used repetitively for long periods of time, can aggravate the nerves in the hand causing sensory disturbances and pain.
Try some of these tips to help prevent injury and reduce symptoms:
• Take breaks, to allow the nerves sufficient time to rest and recover
• Mix up tasks, to give some muscles/nerves a rest whilst you use others
• Use anti-vibration gloves, speak to your therapist for different options
• Ensure you are holding your tools correctly, not too tight and wrist in a neutral position
• Get the correct tool length and width. Tools with small handles require more effort and strength to hold onto. Tools that are too short can cause pressure areas in the hand, potentially compressing nerves and other structures
• Reduce swelling with anti-inflammatory cream and ice
• Splinting may be appropriate to rest your hand at night, soft splints may be appropriate whilst at work
One of our hand therapists would be more than happy to assess your hands and tailor a treatment program for you. Get in touch with us today.